TRUE Fan
: ‎09-06-2015

Pin & Pay - Replacing signature with a 6-digit PIN

Hello 'True' friends

Effective 1 Jan 2017 all our Malaysia bank issued credit card payments at POS terminal must be authorised with a 6 digit PIN instead of signature.  It is an industry-wide change with objective to improve financial security and prevent credit card fraud.  

Personally, i am looking forward to trying out this feature eventhough it can be rather cumbersome because for every credit card transaction done at shopping malls requires us to enter our PIN at cashier counter. also there possibility of entered wrong PIN which delays the entire buying process. To me, security appears to be more important. 

Any thought to share ?

Message 1 of 5 (923 Views)
TRUE Seeker
: ‎04-12-2015

Re: Pin & Pay - Replacing signature with a 6-digit PIN

I got email notification from other bank that they will be sending new cards with pin feature to me soon.

Hello @nivvie will Ambank be doing the same too?

Message 2 of 5 (919 Views)
0 Kudos
Senior TRUE-ist
: ‎16-09-2015

A good approach from BNM. In fact many banks in Europe has implemented that years ago.

Message 3 of 5 (917 Views)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
: ‎25-01-2015

Hi @Alisongoh, apologies for the late reply and I hope you have enjoyed your holidays!

Yes, it is an industry wide requirement that all credit cards in Malaysia will soon implement a PIN feature instead of the standard signature practice for point-of-sale purchases as this will discourage fraud.

AmBank has already completed its first PIN and Pay transaction a few months ago but it will take a few months for all existing AmBank credit cards to migrate from signature to PIN.

@hong_323 I'm so used to using my signature instead of inputing a PIN because I'm paranoid there will be people watching me. Smiley LOLHowever, like you said, security is more important so it's something I'll have to get used to!

Message 4 of 5 (905 Views)
0 Kudos
TRUE Fan
: ‎09-06-2015

Thanks @nivvie for sharing us the info. Didn't know that AMBANK already started issuing card with PIN. Looking forward to receiving mine Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5 (899 Views)
0 Kudos