TRUE Fan
: ‎04-12-2014
Accepted Solution

Being a Wife, Mother, and Employee . Is it Even Possible?

How to be a good/perform employee if you are a mother that does not want to prioritise work over her children and husband? Is it possible?

Message 1 of 7 (794 Views)
Community Manager
: ‎25-01-2015

Re: Being a Wife, Mother, and Employee . Is it Even Possible?

Hi @10020989, I'm not a mother, but I do work with wonderful colleagues who have kids and are high-achieving performers. So yes, it is possible! It also depends on the commitments of that particular employee...let's say she won't be able to commit more time in the office, but she may work harder during the work hour and sacrifice lunch and break time to finish her projects before the end of the day. 

Although she may not prioritise work over her family, she can still be a performing employee who contributes a lot to her company.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7 (794 Views)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
: ‎28-11-2014

Hi @10020989

As a wife, mother and employee, I say...yes, it is possible! @nivvie has some good points when she says that sometimes it could be about sacrifice. Personally, I always try to do my best and give my highest level of commitment in whatever I choose to focus on. At work, I focus 100% on work (but not forgetting about the well-being of my kids of course). And I've learnt over time that you have to leave your work at work.

I used to be a little too focused at work, bringing work home everyday and resuming my work after 10pm and only sleeping at 3am, only to be back in the office before 9am! I learnt that it's not healthy and that work and family life is a crucial balance that you yourself need to make a deal that suits YOU. And you know what? I feel like I'm an even better wife and Mummy when I leave work at work Smiley Happy

How about you @10020989 ? What are your personal thoughts on the matter?

Message 3 of 7 (794 Views)
0 Kudos
TRUE Fan
: ‎04-12-2014

You are awesome!

Im mother of 3.

Before I joined Ambank, I used to be like you. Too focused on work as my job was application support and required to do midnight support for western & south-east Africa country. I worked during weekend, public holiday and total lost my work life balance. I worked from home for >3 years and only required to be office once a week. Finally I got insomia and my husband advised me to quit the job.

Yes, it was challenging and I love that job, but at the same time I paid my health and my valueable family time.

I joined Ambank and became a OL (not handling IT anymore). I told my boss I will plan my daily task which is urgency/important in priority and I will not stay back if possible, unless townhall or UAT.  I need to go back on time as my house is a bit far from office and reached home still need to coach my kids on their homework. I dont have maid and I did not send them to daycare or tuition center for the kids.

Being a wife, mother and employee is like having a full-time job but still require to work for part-time or OT everyday. It's everyday, no rest day. Oh yes, I will still get my rest day when I fall in sick. Ha! Sounds terrible but this is my life.

However, I feel much more comfortable work at Ambank compare with my previous company. Atleast I still can go weekend shopping with my husband and kids. Enjoy my family time during weekend.

Message 4 of 7 (784 Views)
Community Manager
: ‎28-11-2014

I just noticed your reply @10020989! I totally agree when you say "Being a wife, mother and employee is like having a full-time job but still require to work for part-time or OT everyday. It's everyday, no rest day. Oh yes, I will still get my rest day when I fall in sick. Ha! Sounds terrible but this is my life." 

Sometimes when I'm sick I don't even get to rest then because my kids eldest is only 5 years and my second is only 6 months (+ breastfeeding!), so both need attention. Which is why I think I sometimes take longer to recover than when other people take just one day to recover. But whatever it is, I've come to a point in my life where I think there's a good balance, and wouln't change anything Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7 (622 Views)